Associated Student Government
The Rising S.T.A.R. Grant
Scholarly Travel Activity and Research Pilot Program
The Rising Scholarly Travel Activity and Research (S.T.A.R.) Grant program has been established by the Associated Student Government (ASG) to promote and enhance the efforts undertaken by the colleges and departments to send students to programs, conferences and activities of a scholarly nature. We have bench marked the number of students participating in this kind of activity and at the end of 2013 wish, with the help of the S.T.A.R. grant, to see a sizable increase in the number of students participating.
Our mission with this grant is to promote student scholarly activity, and we wish to be a partner in this process. As such we have established some criteria and specific instructions.
Criteria for award:
- Must be used for travel associated with scholarly research or creative activity, both domestic and international.
- Must be attended by Texas State students, preference will be given to conferences attended by Texas State students where the students are presenting for said activity.
- Cannot be used to pay for the cost of faculty, staff or other university employees, excluding student workers.
- Must be applied for by a faculty or staff member on behalf of the student with the approval of their Dean.
- Must have matching funds from the sponsoring college or department.
Process for award:
Submit application for approval with all information requested.
Applications will be reviewed every 30 days on the 25th of every month until April. Deadlines are:
- November 25th
- January 25th
- February 25th
- March 25th
- April 25th
-You will receive notification on the status of your application on the 1st of every month.
-Each college is designated a specific amount of funds available to request, which is spread equally among the 9 academic colleges, excluding the Graduate College. If funds are not requested or used by the second deadline (Jan 25th) ASG will assess if a redistribution of funds is needed based on activity from the colleges.
- These funds for each college total $2,777
-Each application may be awarded up to $500; however awards will not exceed the total matching funds from any one other source, exceptions will be given to exceptional circumstances as determined by the Associated Student Government.
-Funds will not be deposited directly in the awarded accounts but will be coordinated by the Dean of Students Office.
-A report must be submitted 20 days after the activity date has passed. We do not require but would ask for photos and student comments about the conference.
-Please download and the application below and submit via this site when completed. Please complete all sections in type and submit in PDF format.
For questions concerning the process and criteria for this grant please call the ASG office at 512.245.1274. For questions concerning account management and the application of approved funds please contact the Dean of Students office at 512.245.2124